Unit 4: European Exploration
This unit examines the motives for European Exploration of the world, colonization of the "new" world, and the impact on native peoples.
Unit Homework & Assessments:
- Due 10/03: Read p. 84-86 Ellis "Motivation for Exploring the Seas" and "Portugal Sails East." AND select pages from "Eve of Discovery Reading" Take notes. What factors encouraged European exploration? How did the Portuguese take the lead? Who was Prince Henry?
- Due 10/20: Read Age of Man - The Eve of Adventure (Handout) - Pages 11-16. (1) Underline and highlight key, powerful statements in the reading. (2) Outline the reading in your notes. (3) Write 3-5 questions, connections (to other readings, to your life, etc), and other thoughts that make this reading significant.
- Due 10/23: Read p.110-114 "Conquest of the Americas" AND p.115-119 "Spanish and Portuguese Colonies." Define key terms and answer the check point questions. Be able to tell the story. Essential Questions: #3 and #4.
- Due 10/27: Read An Excerpt from Charles Mann, "1491: Rewriting the History of the Americas Before Columbus", 2006. (Handout in class) (1) Underline and highlight key, powerful statements in the reading. (2) How does the author assign blame? What evidence does he give us? (3) Write 3-5 questions, connections (to other readings, to your life, etc), and other thoughts that make this reading significant.
- Due 11/1: Unit 3 Overview Guide Terms and Essential Questions
Monday, October 15:
Tuesday, October 16:
Wednesday, October 17:
Thursday, October 18:
Friday, October 19:
Monday, October 22:
Wednesday, October 24:
Thursday, October 25:
Friday, October 26:
KEY NOTES: Password Required
LINKS: External Resources
Spanish Inquisition - Ferdinand and Isabella Music Video (external site)
Prince Henry the Navigator
Vasco da Gama
Afonso de Albuquerque
Malindi & Mombasa
Dutch East Indies Company
Isabella of Castile
Ferdinand of Aragon
Treaty of Tordesillas
Line of Demarcation
Bartholome de Las Casas
1. Why did Europe seek new routes of exploration to Asia? Why not earlier? What permitted them to explore with success at this point in time?
2. How did the Renaissance lead to and support an Age of Exploration?
3. How were the goals and objectives of the Portuguese and Spanish explorers similar or different?
4. How did the Spanish try to profit from their new empire? Explain.
5. How did slavery impact Africa? the Americas?
6. How did the voyages of European explorers lead to new economic systems?
PROJECT / SKILLS / DEBATE / DISCUSSION: